Sunday, October 03, 2010

canning

Our Garden did incredibly well this year! Manitoba had such a wet summer, that we really didn't have to work hard at it either (read: I can remember turning on the garden hose only a handful of times). This year, we decided to try something different with the hot peppers we grew (two years ago we dried them). We pickled them!

P1040754.JPG

I wore latex gloves to do the chopping. By the end the gloves had holes in them. These were hot peppers! Habaneros, chilli, and banana peppers. We even got a few sweet bell peppers from our garden this year (first year we've had success with that).

P1040755.JPG

Then according to what I read online, we blistered the bell peppers to get the skins off (apparently the skin gets really tough).

P1040756.JPG

That's the completed bowl of chopped hot peppers.

P1040758.JPG

The finished product!

P1040759.jpg

Michael says that they are hot! The first time he ate them, his lips turned very red. I won't even try them. I've increased my tolerance of hot food quite a bit since I met Michael but I don't think I'll ever catch up to him!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 PM

    looks very yummy!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 PM

    That looks really good! If you feel like you have too many jars, you can always send one this way! :)
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

hey! thanks for leaving a comment! it lets me know that people really are reading this blog!