Friday, July 24, 2009

dyeing sock yarn party

This summer I tackled something that I would probably never have done on my own, but with friends for support and encouragement, I decided to join in the fun.
It started with a cake of plain white sock yarn. Which I had to wind into a really really long hank (read: I placed one chair in my kitchen and the other in my living room and wound the yarn around the chair backs). Then a trip to the grocery store to buy lots and lots of koolaid. Then soaking said hank of yarn in vinegar water over night. Then I headed to April's place with my soggy and smelly yarn, packets of koolaid, jars & slow cooker.
Then I mixed my koolaid in the jars, set them in the slow cooker filled with water and then put the yarn in.

Then began the waiting. Until the water in the jars was clear, the dye had not all been soaked in by the yarn.
Once that was complete, I dumped everything out and rinsed the yarn in cold water. Then, I had my friends help me handle the long loop of yarn and fold it up so I could take it home.

Pretty cool, eh? Here's a few more shots from the evening:


No comments:

Post a Comment

hey! thanks for leaving a comment! it lets me know that people really are reading this blog!